Sunday, April 22, 2012

Words every child should hear

As I was sifting through Pinterest, go figure, I found this great link for parents. The title to the link was called, "They are listening." As I read through the list of things that we should be telling our children, I decided I wanted to share these words of wisdom with all you mommy's and daddy's out there. Basically what I gathered  from this post was take the time to build a relationship with your child, encourage them, let them know how much you love them, listen to them, discipline them when necessary and love, love, love them to pieces. I was actually reminded of my husband as I read through this post. Mike became involved with a group of young boys when they were entering middle school. He met with them at least once a week until they graduated high school; one of which he is still meeting with and guiding through college. He took the time to form relationships with these boys and many of them found Christ through meeting with him. They have such a great relationship together and I love watching him interact with each of them. In fact, many of the boys tell him that they love him when they get off the phone or are leaving. The funny thing about this is that sometimes they say it in a joking way, but they are ultimately being serious. They really do love my husband, and my husband loves them because he spent the time getting to know them, listening to them, encouraging them and building a lasting relationship where they feel comfortable being themselves. This is what I want for Addison and the relationship that we build with her. So, in reading through the post on Pinterest, I want to share with you the words that we should be saying to our children because whether we think it or not, they are listening! These are also things that I want Addison to know about how her mommy and daddy feel about her. Here they are:

1. I love you! There is nothing that will make me stop loving you. Nothing you could do or say or think will ever change that.
2. You are amazing! I look at you with wonder! Not just at what you can do, but who you are. There is no one like you. No one!

3. It’s all right to cry. People cry for all kinds of reasons: when they are hurt, sad, glad, or worried; when they are angry, afraid, or lonely. Big people cry too. I do.

4. You’ve made a mistake. That was wrong. People make mistakes. I do. Is it something we can fix? What can we do? It’s all over. You can start fresh. I know you are sorry. I forgive you.


5. You did the right thing. That was scary or hard. Even though it wasn’t easy, you did it. I am proud of you; you should be too.

6. You can change your mind. It’s good to decide, but it is also fine to change.
7. What a great idea! You were really thinking! How did you come up with that? Tell me more. Your mind is clever!

8. That was kind. You did something helpful and thoughtful for that person. That must make you feel good inside. Thank you!

9. I have a surprise for you. It’s not your birthday. It’s for no reason at all. Just a surprise, a little one, but a surprise.

10.  I can wait. We have time. You don’t have to hurry this time.

11. What would you like to do? It’s your turn to pick. You have great ideas. It’s important to follow your special interests.

12. Tell me about it. I’d like to hear more. And then what happened? I’ll listen.

13. I’m right here. I won’t leave without saying good-bye. I am watching you. I am listening to you.

14. Please and Thank You. These are important words. You should use them and if I forget to use them, will you remind me?

15. I missed you.

16. Just try. A little bit. One taste, one step. You might like it. Let’s see. I’ll help you if you need it. I know you can do it. I'm right behind you!


17.  I’ll help you. I heard you call me, here I am. How can I help you? If we both work together, we can get this done. I know you can do it by yourself, but I’m glad to help since you asked.

18. What do you wish for? I love hearing about your dreams, what you wish for and what you hope for!


Don't you agree? Every child should know their parents think these things about them. I know I feel this way about Addison and what I want her to know! I always want her to know what no matter what she does or doesn't do I will always love her, be there for her and encourage her! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Louisville Area Homes

A look back

Followers

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved