Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Things you never say or do to a pregnant woman

So over the past few months I have been a little offended on a few occasions when people have said  or done certain things to me. I was telling Mike that people must think that pregnant people don't have feelings, but I promise, we do! And to make it worse, we have hormones to go along with them so you better watch out! I have collected some of the things that have been said or done to me since being pregnant that NO ONE ELSE should ever say/do. Let me just share with you some things that have made people "cross the line" :)

Never, ever under any circumstance...
1. say "You don't look that small anymore." SERIOUSLY?! You think I can't see that?! I might be pregnant, but I am still a girl, which means that I watch the way that I look even if I am growing a human. For a woman to hear that she isn't small anymore will hurt her feelings even if she isn't busy growing another human.

2. say "You must be tired." I look that good, huh? Well I am tired! I work my tail off, try to sleep but there is a dance party going on in my stomach at all hours of the night and I haven't slept in a comfortable position in about 2 months.

3.say  "I can't wait to watch you get fat." There are no words for this one. You seriously can't wait to watch me get fat? What's wrong with you?!

4. say "How much weight have you gained?" You don't ask someone this even if they are pregnant. Even though I am suppose to be gaining weight right now and I know that it's a good thing, no woman likes to see their weight creep up repeatedly on a scale when they watch their weight at all other points in their life. It seems completely backwards to us women. It actually scares you when you see it go up because whether we admit it or not, we all watch our weight! Just don't ask it!

5. Rub my belly- Ok, if you're my husband, parents, siblings or close friends then I don't mind if you rub my belly. Here is what gets me...I was walking through Wal-Mart one evening and I passed an older woman (mind you I have NEVER in my life seen her before) She steered her cart closer to mine so that as we passed each other she reached out and touched my stomach. It took all I had in me to keep my composure! Really, woman?! I've never seen you before and you think it's ok to touch my stomach?! I told Mike that I should have rubbed her stomach back. I bet that would have made her feel equally uncomfortable!

6. say "How are your parents doing with this?" What in the world do you mean? I didn't do anything wrong! My husband and I are very much in love, settled into our marriage and are ready to bring a child into the world. If I were in a different situation then I could see this question being appropriate, but they are over the moon with excitement to have a grandchild!

7. Pull up my shirt to look at my belly. Word to the wise: Do not, under any circumstance, lift up a pregnant woman's shirt and look at her belly. Her blood pressure will rise and she will want to punch you! To make it even worse, don't pull her shirt up and then proceed to rub her belly with both hands for an extended period of time. This will make her head spin around. Yes, this has actually happened to me. I have never wanted to crawl in a hole and die so badly in my life!

8. say "You look like you've gained _____ pounds." Here's the thing with this one. You might  mean it in a nice way, but I've had two different people tell me that I look like I've only gained ___ pounds. Each of them overestimated the amount of weight I've put on! Not good!

9. Here's a conversation I had last weekend. See what you think is wrong with it:
Older man: "What is the baby?
Me: "A girl."
Older man: Oh (with disappointment in his voice) Will you try for a boy soon?"
We are thrilled that we are welcoming a little girl into our family. Actually we are more than thrilled that God has chosen this perfect little girl to be a part of our family. We will have more children in the future, but not because we are disappointed that we are having a girl. We will add to our family because we love one another and want to have a family together.

10. say" I bet your husband wanted a boy." As a friend of mine once put it," God knows which child will be perfect for your family and he knows what you need." Exactly! My husband is more than happy to be welcoming a little girl. In fact, he has said before that pink is not only his new favorite color, but his new attitude. :) Just like me, he wanted a healthy baby, whether that be a baby boy or baby girl!

Can you believe some of this?! I mean really, I am sure that I've said things before that I thought were a compliment at the time, but some of this stuff you just can't make up! I had to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Louisville Area Homes

A look back

Followers

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved