Thursday, July 19, 2012

Working on the yellow, yellow funny fellow

Addison had jaundice when she was born. Jaundice is a condition that is really very common among newborns, especially if they are being breastfed. Mike has called this the yellow, yellow funny fellow because it caused Addison to turn a yellowish tint. I prefer to say she had a tan. :) In babies, their bilirubin levels spike causing them to become a yellowish color. If it isn't treated then it can be dangerous to the baby.

On Tuesday morning we were supposed to go home from the hospital. The nurses had to check Addison out one more time, so while I showered they came and got Addison and took her to the nursery to check her labs. When I got out of the shower I heard them wheel her in. I was so excited to get out of that hospital, but the sight I saw what not what I expected. She was laying on this blue lit blanket in her bed and there was a doctor there I'd never seen before. She explained that Addison's bilirubin levels were high enough that she had to stay an extra day in the hospital even though I was being discharged. She then explained the blanket that Addison was laying on was going to help the bilirubin level drop to a safe level, but until she was out of the medium zone, she had to stay in the hospital.

Now that I've done my research I know that this is something that is very common among newborns, but when you round the corner and you see your precious newborn laying on a lit blanket with tubes coming out of it and you hear that she is not well enough to leave the hospital with you, your heart breaks. So Addison spent Tuesday night in the hospital. Mike and I were lucky enough to board at the hospital along with Addy. This means that I have been discharged and don't need services from the nurses, but we are still allowed to stay in the room. Good thing because there was no way that Mike and I were leaving our baby girl!

On Wednesday her levels were safe enough for us to take her home, but she had to bring the bilirubin blanket with her. We then had to take her to the hospital every morning so that they could draw blood and check her levels. She was so brave! Not one time did she cry when they stuck her foot to draw her blood, which made the whole situation a lot easier on this momma! Her levels are now dropping on their own and the doctors say that as long as she is peeing, pooping and eating regularly then we are okay.
 The bilirubin blanket



 Sunlight is supposed to help clear up jaundice levels, so this past week we've been outside working on getting rid of the yellow fellow...

Thank goodness this has cleared up without much help from the doctors because we were worried sick about our little girl. She on the other hand handled it like a champ!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Louisville Area Homes

A look back

Followers

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved