Monday, July 16, 2012

Addison's birth story: Part 2

So after I was hooked up to the Pitocin the nurses decided to check me about every three hours. They did this because my water had already broken and I was at risk for infection if they were to check me too often. The Pitocin started out on a level 6 and got my contractions moving pretty well. At that point they weren't really painful. Maybe the kind of cramps that you take Tylenol for, but that was about it. Every 30 minutes my nurse, Rebecca, would come in and turn up the Pitocin. Around about 24 drips per minute I started to get really uncomfortable, but I wasn't dilated very far so I really didn't want to ask for the epidural. Instead they decided to give me some medicine called Stadol. Since I was at a weight level that was a little lower, they only wanted to give me half at first and if I was still in pain I could get the other half a little later. Let me tell you that stuff is awful! It was supposed to  knock the edge off of the pain and let me get a little bit of sleep, but instead it made me feel drunk. I could still feel every bit of the pain I felt before they started the drip, but after the medicine entered my system I couldn't focus on anything, the room was spinning and I was sick to my stomach. Around about this point in the night I was really frustrated. We had been in the hospital for about 12 hours, I was still only dilated 3-4cm, in a lot of pain from the contractions and felt drunk. Oh...not to mention I was starving! I had a bowl of cereal that morning at 7:30 and it was now around 11pm and I had not had anything else on my stomach except a Popsicle.  I was so hungry that I was at the point of begging Mike to smuggle in a cracker or something that I could eat to keep me with a little bit of energy. Since the Stadol had made me sick and the contractions were still getting stronger I went ahead and asked for the epidural. Once I had that, it was really smooth sailing. It was the weirdest sensation because I could still feel pressure when I was having a contraction but I was no longer in pain. When I first got the epidural I could kind of move my legs. It felt like when your legs are asleep and they begin to get blood flow again. After about an hour of the epidural though, I had no feeling what-so-ever in my legs. Every so often the nurse would come in and help me turn from one side to the other so that I could get some sleep. it was a very, very long night. Mike slept some on the couch/chair in the room and I slept the best that I could. We waited and we waited and just when we couldn't wait anymore, we waited. It took forever for me to dilate to 10 cm. The next morning at around 8:50 a.m. my nurse, Rebecca, said that it was time to push. She explained that I would start pushing with her and then Dr. Teressa (the same doctor who delivered Olivia) would come in and check on us periodically. When Addison was almost ready to be born, she would then stay and put on her scrubs for delivery.

So I started pushing. It was NOTHING like the movies and some people portray it to be. It was not hectic or painful and I was not screaming bloody murder or sweating like a pig. It was actually a really enjoyable experience. I would tell Rebecca when I felt a contraction coming on and then I would start pushing. In between we were talking and laughing and to be honest, I really enjoyed the whole experience. Around the 4th time I pushed, Dr. Teressa came in to introduce herself. I thought that she would come in, check on us and then leave, but she started putting on all of her clothing that she would need to deliver Addison. I told Mike it was about that point where it all felt so real. It was like, okay here we go! Once she was all suited up I started pushing again and everyone started getting really excited because they said they could see Addy's head. I just kept thinking that the harder I pushed the quicker Mike and I got to meet our little girl. A couple of pushes later Dr. Teressa said, "Look down, look down!" And there she was, the most beautiful thing I've ever seen before. I think in that moment my heart exploded. I never knew you could love something so much so quickly. I just remember thinking, "Thank you God! She is the best gift I've ever been given!" Immediately Addison was placed on my chest for what they call kangaroo care. She cuddled with me while Mike cut her cord and then we just got the chance to be together for the first time as a family. We cried, kissed Addison, looked at her and each other in awe of what just happened and celebrated the perfect gift that God had given the two of us. Mike just kept saying how amazing the whole experience was and how it was nothing short of a miracle from God and I have to agree with him. From the pain, to the hunger, to the pushing...nothing compared to the moment when they placed Addison in my arms for the first time. I told Mike that I would do it 100 times over to get the beautiful gift that we were given in the end.

Of course I can't end the story of Addison's birth without showing you some of the pictures that our amazing nurse, Rebecca, captured for us. What an amazing moment she captured for us!

























 I love Fonda's face in this picture!

 Addison's heart rate was a little high right after she was born so she had to be taken to the nursery to be monitored for a while. 
Me admiring our baby as I was being taken from the labor and delivery unit to the mother baby floor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Louisville Area Homes

A look back

Followers

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved