Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Not your typical political rant

Today is election day. A big day, really, and for a long while now my Facebook news feed has been overtaken by people I know voicing their opinion on who should win the election and why. Let me be completely honest with you. I really don't like either of them. There are many, many reasons why I don't want to vote for Obama and there are also a good list of reasons I have accumulated for why I don't like Mitt Romney either. I told Mike that it's like picking the lesser of the two evils. That being said....everyone has the right to make their own decision on who they think will be the best leader for our country, but I hope that God is centered on their choice. I have been praying about this election for a while now and I am comfortable with the decision I have made when I go vote today. God needs to be at the center of our country and sadly, I don't feel that he is right now. I am going to be completely honest with you; In the last election, I voted for the "other guy." I am not saying this because I feel the need to apologize to the current administration, but because I feel that even though I voted for the other party, my responsibility as a Christian is to honor the current president and his administration. I may not agree with many of the things that Obama has done while he has been in office, but the bible says that there really is no government except for God. Think about it. Not matter what your title in our government is, you are really there to work for God. Even though I really don't think that Obama has worked for God during his time in the White House, the bible also tells me that I should respect and honor the leaders we have chosen and it's not my job to judge. 

1 Peter 2: 13-17

13 Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human authority: whether to the emperor, as the supreme authority, 14 or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right. 15 For it is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish people. 16 Live as free people, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as God’s slaves. 17 Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor.

It really is honorable and humbling that the first century Christians honored their leaders except worshiping them as god. Some of those men were even put to death because of their faith and Peter made it very clear to us as to why we should do that. He says: “Keep your conduct honorable among the gentiles so that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day of visitation.”1st peter 2:12 So our ultimate goal is not for us to shape the government that we live under, but to  live in such a way that brings other people to God. If we do not do this, then we have failed. Peter tells us that we should honor others around us, treat them with respect and dignity even if we don't agree with what they are doing with their political policy. We should debate with them instead of treat them poorly. 

So, with that being said, when I go to the polls today I will be voting for the person that I feel honors God the most. I also know that there is a possibility that the candidate whom I chose to vote for could lose the election. If this is the case, I will choose to live in a way that will glorify God and I will treat that person respectfully. 

Happy voting, friends. Keep our Father at the tip top of your mind as you make your decision today :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Louisville Area Homes

A look back

Followers

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved