Saturday, September 13, 2014

Someone pinch me

Today marks one week since Mike and I have given our baby a shot. I can't believe that. If you've followed our story from the beginning, then you know Addison was sick when she was about 7 months old and after some testing, the doctors discovered what was making her sick and told us Addison was going to be just fine with some medicine. The only problem was that this medicine was only available through a shot. At first that shot made me so angry. I didn't understand why my baby was going to have to have a shot every day, but after starting the shot I was able to see how much my little angel benefitted from the shot. I am not saying that giving her the shot was easy by any means, but let's be honest, I'm no nurse, but was giving a shot. And the shot was to my baby who was screaming, scared and didn't understand why mommy and daddy were doing this. We continued to talk about the shot and explained to her that without it she would get very sick. Each night after the shot we would say,  "Thank you Mr. Shot for making me healthy! Bye!" and that seemed to help a little bit, but after a while she was sick and tired of getting a daily dose. Can you blame her? I was sick of giving it to her, so I can only imagine how tired of it she was. The deal with the shot was that she had to have it daily until she was at least 2 because the way her body would break down proteins would be different once she turned 2. After her second birthday she became eligible for a shot that is given monthly. Could there be any better news? YES! This shot is not allowed to be given by people (aka parents and caretakers) who are not in the medical profession. That meant no more shots given by mommy and daddy! It get's even better. I thought we would take Addison to the doctor monthly and they would do it there (which was fine), but her doctor set up a home health nurse that comes right to our house. So she came last week, gave Addy her shot and we celebrated with ice cream afterwards that "Mr. Shot" was gone. I can't tell you how happy that made our little girl. She kept telling everyone that she had good news and would then tell them her shot was gone. She has also corrected me when I say WE have good news to someone. She says, "Mommy that's my good news." Yes, baby girl, it sure is! Addison is surely the bravest little girl I know and I am so proud to call her my child. She has handled this situation like a pro and just when I think I couldn't be prouder of her, she proves me wrong. I am so happy for her that she no longer has to have a shot each night before bedtime. We have loved saying, "Guess what Addison?! NO SHOT!!" To which she replies, "NO SHOT!!!!!!" Thank you Jesus for medicine that not only keeps my baby girl healthy, but happy and running around like every other two year old. We are blessed for sure!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Louisville Area Homes

Followers

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved